Earth day is upon us! The day where we are reminded how our over-consumption and careless lifestyles (e.g. the floating mass of plastic waste twice the size of Texas that is currently floating in the Pacific ocean destroying marine life and negatively impacting human health) are destroying the planet. Sounds super fun! For many of us, this means that we will "like" a few Instagram posts dedicated to Earth Day awareness, pledge to try harder, add a few more items to the recycle bin, and pat ourselves on the back for being sustainably woke. It's not that we don't care about reversing our devastating effects on the environment, it's that the idea of making the changes necessary seem rather daunting. So what are we to do?
Well, like most things it's a process, and small adjustments here and there really can add up to larger, more impactful lifestyle changes. So don't beat yourself up if your house isn't a zero-waste temple (yet). Instead, try these 5 ultra-simple, eco-friendly, sustainable product swaps:
1. Etee Wraps - Say goodbye to plastic wrap, sandwich bags and bulky storage containers! Instead preserve your food and protect your family with these fully biodegradable wraps made from USDA organic beeswax, essential oils (clove, cinnamon, and jojoba), sustainably sourced coniferous tree resins, non gmo soy wax, and GOTS certified organic cotton. We've tried a few different types of alternative food wraps, and so far, Etee wraps stand out among the crowd!
2. Reusable Silicone Stasher Bags - These storage bags are the super green alternative to replace your sandwich/snack/freezer bags. Plastic-free, endlessly reusable, airtight seal, and versatile. Made of 100% pure platinum silicone, these bags are zero waste, non-toxic, hypoallergenic, BPA and BPS free. And, they come in multiple sizes for all of your kitchen storage needs!
3. Grove Collaborative 100% Recycled Plastic Trash Bags - These ultra-strong trash bags are made of 100% post-consumer recycled plastic so that you can avoid creating even more trash when throwing out your trash! Grove has also partnered with Living Lands and Waters to remove 1 pound of garbage from America's rivers for every 50 rolls of trash bags sold!
4. Humankind Hygiene Product Bundle - Humankind offers multiple hygiene products, purchased à la carte or as a bundled subscription. These products boast innovative formulas that out perform typical competitors while significantly reducing single-plastic waste. Mot notably, their revolutionary mouthwash tablets look really cool! AND you can pick the color of your reusable product cartridges so you can be all matchy matchy (if you're into that kind of thing)!
5. Guppyfriend - Created by Micro Waste, a nonprofit initiative dedicated to raising awareness about the (micro)plastic problem, this garment bag helps prevent microfibers from entering our oceans. Microfibers, are small, synthetic fibers that wash out of our clothes and are one of the most common types of microplastic pollution that we find in the environment (typically from acrylic, nylon, and polyester garments). Guppyfriend bags reduce fiber shedding and protect your clothes at the same time. It's also a great reminder that we should lean towards buying more eco-friendly clothing.